School Focuses Youth Services (SFYS) – Local Advisory Group (LAG)
School Focused Youth Service (SFYS) was first established in 1998 as a joint initiative between the Department of Human Services and the Department of Education. SFYS was developed to strengthen support for vulnerable young people (10 – 18 years) by facilitating partnerships and improved coordination of services between schools and community service organisations at a local level.
Through the brokering of these partneships, SFYS has been able to achieve:
- Improved planning at the local level to ensure that children and young people are well connected to local schools and services;
- Improved connections between schools, health and welfare services – particularly those that support vulnerable children and young people;
- Improved identification of children and young people who require prevention and early intervention strategies to assist their engagement and/or reengagement into education.
SFYS operates right throughout Victoria and includes all Government, Catholic and Independent Schools. Within the catchment area of Hobsons Bay and Wyndham, SFYS works with approximately 73 schools on an ongoing basis. Each year $51,500 worth of brokerage funding is made available to local schools to partner with community agencies in order to develop and implement programs that address the needs of vulnerable children and young people. More specifically, these projects target young people who are most at risk of disengaging from school including those who are considered vulnerable to one or more of the following risk factors:
- Depressive mood and depressive disorders
- Substance abuse
- Socioeconomic disadvantage
- Family problems
- Young people experiencing difficulties from Indigenous or Culturally & Linguistially Diverse Communities.
Within Hobsons Bay and Wyndham, both Hobsons Bay City Council and Wyndham City Council have partnered to auspice School Focused Youth Service, with the SFYS Coordinator based at Hobsons Bay Youth Services. A Local Advisory Group (LAG) has been established to serve in an advisory capacity to the SFYS Coordinator and auspicing agencies. Whilst the LAG is an advisory group with no executive power, its purpose is to:
- Identify common and shared directions for SFYS;
- Promote the collaboration and coordination of support services which link young people, schools and community agencies;
- Contribute to the development, implementation and evaluation of the Service, as per the SFYS funding agreement;
- Develop guidelines and make recommendations on priorities to the LAG Executive for the use of brokerage funds to meet service gaps as identified at a regional and local level;
- Make a positive and sustainable contribution towards the education, health and wellbeing of local young people;
- Advocate on behalf of the project to the community and other levels of Government as necessary.
Meetings are held on a bi-monthly basis and are chaired by a Councillor epresentative from Hobsons Bay and/or Wyndham. Membership of the LAG is comprised of individuals from education, local government and community agencies.
For further information please contact the SFY Coordinator on 03 9932 4000 or › click here
WRICA is a not for profit association that is sustained by membership, and sponsorship of the WRICA Careers & Employment Expo.
The WRICA organization incorporates sixteen secondary schools across the Wyndham and Hobsons Bay regions, including institutions, industry, employment and training organizations, job networks and government agencies. Monthly meetings rotate venues across the Wyndham & Hobsons Bay area, and provide opportunities for guest speakers to promote new courses, employment options, training developments and other industry based information.
For more information: › click here.