Young Ambassadors for Industry Pilot
The Cummins South Pacific Young Ambassadors for Industry Pilot was a two year school business partnership brokered by the WynBay LLEN. The pilot was developed to identify the challenges or barriers faced by young people and identify mechanisms for business to engage with young people. The aim of the pilot is to give students, schools and families an improved understanding of the business, personnel and operating environments within Cummins South Pacific, automotive diesel and electrical sectors in general.
In addition, this pilot has brokered an ongoing partnership between local education providers, young people, families, the community and Cummins South Pacific to achieve:
- Students understanding of the pathways available in the heavy diesel and electrical sectors
- Educators experience the work practices and standards in the heavy diesel and electrical sector
- Industry advice for the trade training centres, including equipment, best practice and program development
- Providing structured workplace learning and work experience opportunities for students
- Increasing the profile of Cummins South Pacific in the wider community
- Creating a talent pool of employees for succession planning at Cummins South Pacific
- Increasing the opportunity for project based learning, with the aim of keeping students engaged at school
- Assistance with skill set development for year 9 students which will be aligned with industry requirements
- Opportunity for Cummins staff to become involved in team teaching with the Pathways team in schools.